Skip to main content

Nicht die Kinder bloß speist man mit Märchen ab

It is not children only that one feeds with fairy tales.[Ger., Nicht die Kinder bloss speist man mit Marchen ab.] - Ephraim Gotthold Lessing, Nathan der Weise  (III, 6) 
It has taken me 30 minutes to trawl through various literal translations to understand the meaning of this quote. It seems to be most commonly used to reinforce a subtext of childlike naviety in certain circumstances but I am appropriating it in this instance to mean that adults may enjoy fairytales. 
Found at the beginning of Bottighemiers book 'Fairytales and Society' I had the jist of what it meant... but to be accurate is important. Various google translations include: Not only one feeds the children off with fairy tales or Not just the kids fed off with fairy tales which translates back to German as Nicht gerade zogen die Kinder weg mit Märchen ein.
Entrapment:
new Uni library work space
Reading translations is fraught with danger but I need to read the original text of fairytale critiques. There is little point assuming that Jack Zipes analysis of a scholarly work is the one I should absorb into my work. I am attempting to find translations or translate with the help of Translation APs. I can read the simple words in French and German so I know I am close to the correct meaning BUT understanding the meaning of words like généricité is difficult in English.
I left the library on Friday armed with books that critique the fairytale genre and explore culture and society within literary fairy tales. I am spending the Cup Day weekend working my way through them with the occasional coffee break. My first visit to the new library.Spacious with greenly striped pyjama-like walkways flanking central workspaces that are clean and new and bereft of students. 
Why the ropes encircling this learning space?  Outside it felt like a pirate ship heavy ropes enticing me to climb (Let's have an adventure!); inside entrapment (Don't leave until that draft is finished!) or maybe it is a rope forest (Sleeping Beauty-like) to invite childish behaviour (Climb me! Swing!) Is it a fence? A frame? A trellis? Let's watch how it evolves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Thesis - what's it about?

I am always thrilled to be contacted by those who by chance find my blog. I have been blogging for three years and am hoping to complete my first draft by the end of the year. I thought it timely to re-publish what has already been published. The following is from my presentation at the University of Kassel, Germany. In 1904 Olga Ernst, a pupil teacher, wrote Fairy Tales from the Land of the Wattle. Although she was just sixteen years old, Ernst was one of a small group of writers in Australia who attempted to nationalise the fairytale towards the end of the nineteenth century, signalling quite clearly that they intended to affix the elves and fairies of Europe onto the Australian landscape aiming to fill a void that was keenly felt by the children of emigrants and the Australian-born children of emigrants. (Walker, 1988) The beginnings of the Australian bush fantasy genre can be linked with the desire to bring the comfortable and familiar into the new and distinctly non

100 Years of the Brighton Red Cross

 Alleyn Best and myself. I was delighted to attend the Launch of the book "Red Cross in Brighton: A History of the Brighton Unit of Red Cross (Victorian Division, Australia) 1914-2014 " by Alleyn Best. This is a  fascinating history of the contribution of Brighton's Red Cross members in their past century. With such a rich history it must have been a difficult task to decide what to include in the book, but Alleyn has managed to produce a succinct, readable volume illustrated with a wealth of photographs chosen from the archives. I enjoyed reading this riveting history, and am pleased to have been able contribute information about Olga Waller's (Ernst) role in the Brighton Unit. In the chapter devoted to the Junior Red Cross Olga is mentioned as an 'inspiring leader' (pp. 87-94) and there is a beautifully reproduced photo of Olga and the Brighton Junior Red Cross in 1949 (p. 88).  The book can be purchased from the Brighton Red Cross Unit's address 

Judged by the audience.

I started this blog as a way to reflect on intriguing aspects of my research. I wonder about who is reading this blog? It is nice to get emails and the occasional comment.  I ponder about  the regular visitor from Slovenia  and am delighted that I was discovered by Heyne family members quite by accident.   The most visited posts are: A PhD! What's in it for me?  Sept 12,2010 Teaching in the blood   Oct 19, 2010 Rosalie's Reward    Oct 16, 2010 Tassie Tales    Aug 15, 2010 Toxic Friendships    Jun 19, 2010 Producing a poster - AARE Conference   Oct 24, 2010 So... how popular are the Grimms?  March 6 2011