Skip to main content

Thesis Bootcamp - drop and give me... 20000 words

It's more than likely Olga used these stairs.

I applied for this UniMelb program to overcome my thesis fatigue having written a chapter every two months for the last year while working full time. Advertised as a 'no-excuses, no-time-for-procrastination, take-no-prisoners intensive writing weekend', achieving my Holy Grail of 5000 words in a weekend appealed. I was keen to show those staff members who completed the Tough Mudder challenge last week and bounced into work wearing their TM t-shirts that I could undertake something equally gruelling but cleaner! I was after the coveted mug to fill with plunger coffee and place strategically next to those-who-should-be-impressed in the staffroom.


My Trophy
Green = 5000 words
Blue = 10000 words
Red = 15000 words
It was a gift! To be able to simply write..write...write and wander into the lunch room for any kind of snack whenever: breakie bars, cereal, yoghurt, vego delights, scones.  No internet access  - challenging. No phone, no emails about work next week to answer, no interruptions... just time to writing- refreshing. An unspoken and gentle sense of pressure pervaded the room spurring me on.
What did I write? ... completed the chapter on early Australian children's lit, hit a slump with the German-essence in her work, sunk my teeth in the 'Pedagogy' chapter and began, because I was aiming for the red block (see image for details), issues of gender. When I reached 15002 words at 7pm on Sunday night I was exhausted but amazed! I now have 52000 words towards my first draft and now can see the first draft completed by the end of the year. I couldn't even image that Friday night at 4pm.
Well planned, efficiently organised and fun! 
Postcript: May 16th - In the Giblin and off to have celebratory coffee - just finished 72% of first draft writing. Before Bootcamp I was at about 30% and struggling to get momentum going. The 15000 words have translated into three finished chapters after some polishing and reference checking. 
Postscript: August 24th - Spent Saturday 11-4 with 5 other veterans at a 'Thesis Bootcamp Veterans Day' in the Bailleau. It was so quiet I could hear the occasional sigh and empathise. It was so quiet I felt compelled to make sure my coffee cup didn't clatter as I replaced it.  The quietness in this dedicated private space allowed me to think  without interruption.  There is a pleasant collective pressure and silent camaraderie amongst those who sit and struggle like I do to wrestle thoughts into words. Last chapter begun today and then a first draft looms.
Postcript: October 23 - All chapters reviewed and drafted, edited, re-developed and about to begin to compile what I've written into the first draft. Wayward fullstops, semi-colons and APA references would turn my hair grey if it wasn't already dyed! My deadline is 5th January in the mail to be read by my amazing supervisors Pam and Marnee.
Postscript Jan 7 2014 - Just handed in First Draft - yay!
Postscript Dec 20 2015 - Handed in Second Draft - yay! 
Postscript April 2015 PhD Completion Seminar - Education Leicester L915 Frank Tate Room  5.15-7.00 -The beginning of the end. Thank you BOOT CAMP.
Complete http://robynelainefloyd.blogspot.com.au/2015/07/thesis-complete.html

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wwhhoo! Brave to put yourself into boot camp, so many fail the phyical ones! Kel
Vivian Wier said…
Thesis bootcamp are really getting known today to help ease the journey of thesis writing. And from the sound of your story, the boot camp really helps you to think of a thesis ideas and write your thesis. Anyway, what happened to your thesis project? I do hope everything went well with it.
Peta Freestone said…
Robyn!

I just ran the first event of the same Thesis Boot Camp in London, and it made me wonder how you were going. There is applause in my office at the Uni of Edinburgh right now at seeing your completion seminar is/was this month. Well done! You must be so proud of yourself. I'm glad Thesis Boot camp helped along the way--graduation is in sight!

All best,

Peta Freestone

Popular posts from this blog

My Thesis - what's it about?

I am always thrilled to be contacted by those who by chance find my blog. I have been blogging for three years and am hoping to complete my first draft by the end of the year. I thought it timely to re-publish what has already been published. The following is from my presentation at the University of Kassel, Germany. In 1904 Olga Ernst, a pupil teacher, wrote Fairy Tales from the Land of the Wattle. Although she was just sixteen years old, Ernst was one of a small group of writers in Australia who attempted to nationalise the fairytale towards the end of the nineteenth century, signalling quite clearly that they intended to affix the elves and fairies of Europe onto the Australian landscape aiming to fill a void that was keenly felt by the children of emigrants and the Australian-born children of emigrants. (Walker, 1988) The beginnings of the Australian bush fantasy genre can be linked with the desire to bring the comfortable and familiar into the new and distinctly non

100 Years of the Brighton Red Cross

 Alleyn Best and myself. I was delighted to attend the Launch of the book "Red Cross in Brighton: A History of the Brighton Unit of Red Cross (Victorian Division, Australia) 1914-2014 " by Alleyn Best. This is a  fascinating history of the contribution of Brighton's Red Cross members in their past century. With such a rich history it must have been a difficult task to decide what to include in the book, but Alleyn has managed to produce a succinct, readable volume illustrated with a wealth of photographs chosen from the archives. I enjoyed reading this riveting history, and am pleased to have been able contribute information about Olga Waller's (Ernst) role in the Brighton Unit. In the chapter devoted to the Junior Red Cross Olga is mentioned as an 'inspiring leader' (pp. 87-94) and there is a beautifully reproduced photo of Olga and the Brighton Junior Red Cross in 1949 (p. 88).  The book can be purchased from the Brighton Red Cross Unit's address 

Another Grimm year!

                                  Olga Ernst wrote Fairytales from the land of the Wattle in 1904 at the age of sixteen. Ernst cleverly placed the old world faerie folk of Europe that she knew from listening to the Grimm brothers fairytales and placed them into the new Australian landscape delighting Australian children. Ernst created a fairyland that Australian children could relate to and she says in her book introduction, "These are written in the hope that they will... win approval of those to whom a loving study of tree and flower, bird and insect, and the association of familiar elements of old world fairy-lore with Australian surroundings, commend themselves. I remember watching videos of Snow White (1937) (Too scary for children when released. My grandparents left my mother with a babysitter), Cinderella (1950)and Sleeping Beauty (1959) but haven't seen The Princess and the Frog (2009), an adapta